Election Day May 8th
I am coming to you seeking re-election as your Sheriff of Durham County on May 8, 2018. It has been a quick four years and has brought much enjoyment working for our community.
Some of the things we have accomplished over the past four years with the hard-working men and women of the Durham County Sheriff’s Office are as follows:
- Distributed Narcan to deputies and detention officers in the Detention Facility. The Durham County Sheriff’s Office was the first and only law enforcement agency to distribute Narcan to officers on the street and inside the Detention Facility.
- Partnering with Duke Psychiatry to decriminalize mental health transports.
- Partnering with Duke Eviction Diversion and Legal Aid to cut down on evictions.
- Expanded GED opportunities in the Detention Facility and moving to implement English Programs for those who speak Other Languages (ESOL).
- Opened the Mental Health PODs in the jail– We are committed to providing mental health care and support for some of the Detention Facility’s most vulnerable detainees.
- Citizen’s Community Academy – The community academy is designed to increase the understanding and knowledge of the Sheriff’s office. Citizens are exposed to many different aspects of law enforcement including day-to-day operations.
- East Station was renovated. It has an upgraded network infrastructure and serves as a remote facility. It is a fully staffed location which provides immediate response to the public.
- Microchip scanners were obtained for the Animal Control Division. These scanners return animals to owners instead of taking animals to the shelter. This cuts down on owners having to pay for redemption fees.
- Healthy Animal Initiative—builds fences, offers free microchips and rabies vaccinations, flea and tick preventatives, free dog and cat food, harnesses, crates and houses throughout Durham County. This was part of an ASPCA Grant.
- Gang Resistance Education and Training (G.R.E.A.T.) – Approximately 2,850 4th and 6th grade students receive the GREAT curriculum every year in 13 elementary schools, 5 middle schools and 1 secondary school. This is part of the Durham County Strategic Plan.
- Washington DC G.R.E.A.T. Trip – Every year on Mother’s Day weekend the Sheriff’s Office in conjunction with Durham Citizens Safety Committee and Durham Police Department escorts approximately 100 sixth graders from Durham Public Schools to Washington, DC. These children are given VIP escorts through the city to visit museums and monuments while learning about the history of our country.
- School Resource Officers – focus to divert juveniles from the criminal justice system when possible. (In 2017 SRO’s responded to 3,567 calls for service.) This is part of the Durham County Strategic Plan.
- The Durham County Sheriff’s Office continues to be accredited by The Commission on Accreditation for Law Enforcement Agencies (CALEA). 1998, 2001, 2004, 2007, 2010, 2013, 2016
- In 2017, the Sheriff’s Anti-Crime & Narcotics Unit helped seize a street value of $1,643, 649 in illegal drugs. Since my term began, the unit has seized $7,647,664.
- In 2017, the Sheriff’s Anti- Crime & Narcotics Unit seized $1,260,013 in cash money. Over my term, the unit has seized $1,903,261. In 2017, the unit removed 263 firearms from the streets in our community.
These are just a few items accomplished by my office these past four years. We continue to strive to bring the citizens of Durham County quality service day in and day out.
Your Sheriff’s Office is one of the best in the state. In order to build upon our successes, I need your help. It takes a lot of money to run a campaign. Please support me as I seek my second elected term by making a donation to my campaign. Please make your check payable to the Committee to Elect Mike Andrews Sheriff. Due to Board of Election regulations, business checks are NOT acceptable. Donations must be received from a personal check.
I am honored to work with some of the finest men and women every day at the Durham County Sheriff’s Office. Together we can continue to make Durham a safer and better place to live. It is a pleasure to serve you!
Michael D. Andrews
Sheriff of Durham County